Disclaimer:

Every post in the blog is an original piece of work by the blogger. Do not use the pictures, posts on the blog without the consent of the blogger.

Page copy protected against web site content infringement by CopyscapeCreative Commons License
Aaditya and Me by Aditya Joshi is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-No Derivative Works 2.5 India License

Sunday, April 20, 2008

Glorifying crime

A group of gangsters drinking at a bar. They are supercool - they have women dancing around them. And this is supposed to be a 'dhaasu' film.

'Satya', 'Shooutout at Lokhandwala' and their likes surely had an impact on me, wouldn't deny. I thought the performances by some of the actors were amazing. But the question is, are we glorifying crime?

Not just in movies, but generally. Criminals become politicians. (Politicians become reality show judges and actors. Actors become singers. Singers become reality show hosts. TV hosts become actors. That's another issue altogether) There are pages of information about the Dons and the mafia in the newspapers while a small five inch writeup about Lal Bahadur Shastri ji's birthday celebration (which also falls on the same day as that of Gandhiji).

Are we glorifying crime? Not just the media. But are we, in our minds, glorifying crime - due to whatever reason, guilt, fear, awe; but somewhere we are.

And it is surely not a sign of civilization.

4 comments:

  1. I completely agree with you. The media (print, tv as well as movies) is so much full of crap these days. The other day I saw ... I don't even remember the name of the movie now(I saw it because it has Katrina Kaif sporting lots of lip gloss and tiny skirts)...it has Anil Kapoor and Nana Patekar as some sort of renowned gangsters. The media has dipped to a new low!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I parially agree with you..but then again media (TV, print ) have to cater to the readers/viewers choice accordingly to increase it's revenue or business.
    If crime and violence is what sells then media will definitely use it to boost their business.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I am an a-level student and am in my second year studying media. For my coursework I am doing my research on how crime/gangster films glorify crime and if it is having any effects on our society? What do you think? It would be grate if you could write a few comments to help.
    thanx :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Drop me an email anonymous. Would love to comment.

    ..If you reading this.

    ReplyDelete